Inside Improvisation – The Science Behind Theatrical Improvisation and How To Get Better, was published in July 2018. Written by Academy of Improvisation principal Richard Bennett, Inside Improvisation explains how improv works from start to finish, referencing all the science that makes it work and how to become a much better improvisation. Over 10 years in the making, it’s set to be a classic foundational text.
Classic rules and processes for learning and practicing improv are challenged, and well debated arguments and myths are finally debunked. And how our bodies and brains work while improvising is completely explored, giving new insight into how to become a better improvisor.
Topics include as:
- group mind explained
- divided attention vs. split attention and being in the moment
- fear and anxiety
- Johnstone vs. Chicago, short–form vs. long–form, facts and fallacies
- the long and influential history of improvising today’s news stories
- what makes improv funny and is it always funny?
- the use of drugs and alcohol in improvisation
- how players communicate intention without realising it
- …and much much more
RRP AUD$39.95, USD$29.95, GBP£19.95, EUR€25.00, CAD$32.95
Reviews & Ratings
Early days yet, but interest is building.
Where to buy
Inside Improvisation in paperback can be ordered from most books shops around the world as a special order, or from most online book stores. The eBook is exclusively available for Kindle from Amazon.
Amazon Canada — Kindle eBook