Inside Improvisation – The Science Behind Theatrical Improvisation and How To Get Better, was published in July 2018. Written by Academy of Improvisation principal Richard Bennett, Inside Improvisation explains how improv works from start to finish, referencing all the science that makes it work and how to become a much better improvisor. Over 10 years in the making, it’s set to be a classic foundational text.
How our bodies and brains work while improvising is completely explored, giving new insight into how to become a better improvisor. Classic rules and processes for learning and practicing improv are challenged, and well debated arguments and myths are finally debunked. Intermingled with personal anecdotes from climbing the improvisation ladder.
Topics include as:
- group mind explained
- divided attention vs. split attention and being in the moment
- fear and anxiety
- Johnstone vs. Chicago, short–form vs. long–form, facts and fallacies
- the long and influential history of improvising today’s news stories
- what makes improv funny and is it always funny?
- the use of drugs and alcohol in improvisation
- how players communicate intention without realising it
- …and much much more
RRP AUD$32.95, USD$29.95, GBP£19.95, EUR€25.00, CAD$32.95
Where to buy
Inside Improvisation is available for Kindle and in paperback.
You can purchase from our site if you’re shipping to an Australian address, with an option to have it personally signed by the author. It is also available from most books shops around the world as a special order, or from most online book stores. The eBook is exclusively available for Kindle from Amazon.
Amazon Canada — Kindle eBook
Reviews & Ratings
Early days yet, but interest is building.